Follow Me on Pinterest

Rhubarb Pie

Monday, June 27, 2011
This blog is for ALL Foodies.  I will feature various culinary inspired chefs and bakers because its all about the food. After a very good meal its should be followed by an outstanding desert. Desserts are something I'm working on to master.  So while I'm still working on that I will feature Renee's Sweet Coner. She will bring various desserts to the blog. All of them I have tried and they are outstanding.  So no more wasting time! Welllll here we go! Renee's Sweet Corner! Enjoy


I love pie.  In my world, in the contest between pie and cake, pie wins by a mile.  I think its because of the crust, I love crust, especially whens its flaky and soft and fresh out of the oven.  There is nothing about pie that disappoints me, I can eat it in the morning for breakfast, as a dessert or even for my main meal.  Ahhhh, pie.  I think one of the reasons more people don't like pie is because they feel that the crust is too difficult to make.  But, pie crust, in my opinion is one of the easier things to bake once you get the hang of it.  The first thing to remember is that it is just three simple ingredients, flour, salt, and fat.  Now I love all types of pie, but my absolute favorite is rhubarb. And I feel for those of you who have never had the delicious tanginess that is rhubarb.  It is a plant that has ruby red stalks when ripe and it is these stalks that you chop up and cook into the deliciousness that is rhubarb pie.  For those of you who have never had rhubarb, I must warn you it can be tart, so most people will cook it with strawberries to tone it down and that is perfectly acceptable, however today I'm going to be just be showing you rhubarb in all its glory.  This recipe makes one 9 inch double crust pie, however for today I took that recipe and divided it into five mini pies for extra cuteness.

Rhubarb Pie


For the crust:

2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup shortening *
6-7 Tbl cold water

Measure out the flour and salt into a medium size bowl and mix together.

 Add in the shortening and mix together with your hands or a pastry cutter until the dough resembles little crumbs.

 Add in the water  until the dough comes together.  Divide the dough into two pieces and roll out one of them.  This will be your bottom crust.


Place that crust into your nine inch pie pan.  Roll out the other piece and set aside.

* Some people do not like using shortening in their pie crust which is fine.  If you would like to use butter, substitute the same amount of butter for the shortening and proceed with mixing the ingredients.  However, you should place the dough in the frig for about an hour prior to rolling it out to give the butter a chance to set.

For the filling:

5 cups rhubarb, chopped
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix together the sugar, flour, and vanilla extract.  Then add in the chopped rhubarb and mix together.


  Take the filling and pour it into the pie pan and put the top crust on. 


Crimp the edges to seal, and cut about three to four slits in the top so the steam can vent.  Place in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes and then lower the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 30-40 minutes until the crust is browned and the filling is bubbling.  If the edges start to get too brown, you can wrap the edges in foil.  Let cool and then serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment